BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Breakfast Table re-do

This post is for a good friend, who is going to refinish a dresser for her baby on the way!


My Breakfast table was a find at a garage sale and it only came with three chairs. Which is fine for us, so it was a steal! I had re-upholstered the seats when we first got it, but the color stain just didn't go with the rest of the house. So here are the steps I did to make this piece look a little more like it fit in the our home.


First, if needs to be cleaned VERY well with a degreaser. All the pledge I used on this table needed to come off if any paint is going to stick to it.


You will then lightly sand it with 120 sand paper. Only lightly, you don't have to get any varnish off, this is just to get it where paint will stick to it.

I then, use primer that comes in spray form and prime away. After Primer is completely dry, you can start painting whatever color you are going for. I used an antique white, but in the pictures it looks a little more stark then in person. I did several thin coats to make sure in went on evenly and would last a lifetime if I wanted it to.


After you paint is dry, and you added enough coats, you will sand it down where you want it destressed and worn. We you do this, think about the areas that normally would get worn, like edges. Then you sand off the paint so the under color of wood is showing.


After you have in sanded how you like it, you can add a varnish. Shiny, satin or flat totally your choice. Just keep in mind if you go flat, it is not as easy to clean, especially on a table.


And here it is, all in a day or two's time:)

1 comments:

Jontal said...

Thanks for posting! I need to paint Ramona's dresser and our rocking chair and now you've made it seem so easy I don't have an excuse not to!